McKinney-Vento Homeless Act
Every student at American Leadership Academy is given the opportunity to receive the best educational experience possible in a moral and wholesome environment, no matter what personal or familial challenges they are facing. This includes students experiencing homelessness or transition.
Get information about the McKinney-Vento Homeless Act and enroll our student by scheduling a tour, today.
- What is the McKinney Vento Homeless Act?
- What is American Leadership Academy Students in Transition?
- Who is considered homeless?
- What rights do homeless students have?
- What resources are available to help ALA Students in Transition?
- What should parents do during this transition?
- Want to know more?
Students with an irregular or inadequate nighttime residence can be considered homeless. This may include:
- Students living in shared housing due to loss of housing or financial hardship
- Students living in public spaces, cars, hotels, or campgrounds due to lack of adequate accommodations
- Students living in shelters or transitional housing
- Students who live unaccompanied, whether they have run away or have been denied housing by their families
American Leadership Academy staff works to provide resources and support to Students in Transition as soon as they are identified. This may include help providing uniforms, school supplies, and basic toiletries, as well as other forms of support. Needs will be identified on a case-by-case basis. For more information, contact our McKinney-Vento District Liaison, Kimberly Saffell, at 480-420-2101.
Parents should contact their child’s current school and explain the situation. Obtain any records the school has (including immunization records) and provide the school with a new address, if possible. Also, enroll your child in school as soon as possible, to expedite the process and avoid problems.
We want to do our part in easing the educational burden of our students and their families. To see how American Leadership Academy can benefit your student, schedule a campus tour today. We’d love to show you around and answer whatever questions you might have about the programs we offer. We look forward to meeting you!