American Leadership Academy, Gilbert North 7-12’s theatre program is focused on student engagement and leadership. Students have numerous opportunities to be involved through classes, after school productions, and the ITS, or International Thespian Society, an honors society for theatre students. The Gilbert North Campus Theater Department is a member of the International Thespian Society.
- Jr. High Theater - 2 courses
- Theater 1 (Beginning Theatre)
- Theater 2 (Intermediate Acting Techniques)
- Theater 3 (Advanced Acting Techniques and Musical Theatre Conservatory)
- Stagecraft (Technical Theatre)
2019-2020 production schedule:
- You’re a Good Man Charlie Brown (Theatre 3 class, October 25-26, 2019)
- The Complete Works of William Shakespeare [abridged] (ITS Competition piece)
- A Christmas Carol (Middle school production, December 18-20, 2019)
- The Tempest (Theatre 2 production, January 31-February 1, 2020)
- Thoroughly Modern Millie (Open call musical, March 20-21, 2020)
- Theatre Showcase (highlights from theatre classes, April 17-18, 2020)
Mr. Abaroa has been an active performer and singer from a young age. Having performed with and for several amateur and professional companies, such as the Phoenix Boys Choir, the Arizona Opera, and the Hawaii Symphony Orchestra, Mr. Abaroa has had numerous experiences that have grown his love for the arts. His love for education, however, blossomed while attending college in Hawaii, where he served as the Performance and Education Coordinator for the improv troupe The Seaside Jesters.
He joins ALA from working at both the Arizona Theatre Company and the Utah Shakespeare Festival, where he worked in Education and fundraising. He completed his undergraduate degree in Interdisciplinary Studies (Musical Theater and Communications) at Brigham Young University- Hawaii and received a Master of Fine Arts degree in Arts Administration from Southern Utah University.